2023 Round-Up


TOTAL FILMS SEEN IN 2023: 275 

TOTAL WATCHING HOURS: ? 

NEW-TO-ME:  268 

REWATCHES:  7 

SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN:  3 

MOST WATCHED ACTOR: ? 

MOST WATCHED DIRECTOR: ?

William Powell and Myrna Loy in Shadow of the Thin Man (1941)

We're in February already but it's my first blog presence this year so Happy 2024, dear Classic Film Lovers!

My 2023 round-up will be a bit shorter than my usual yearly round-ups but here goes.

First of all ... what a rollercoaster end of the year I had in my personal life! I could never have imagined the difficult times my family and I would experience due to my sister's illness, her hospitalisation for weeks on end and her stay in the ICU for more than a month. This also affected my classic film watching. I even missed the round-up of November completely because that month I didn't watch any classic films!

I used to get an email from Letterboxd HQ with my limited stats for the year but I didn't receive it last year and this year neither. I'm a non-paying member and I have received these stats in the beginning of my membership but I guess they want me to sign up for a paid subscription and stopped sending these yearly stats. LB would give me the number for total watching hours ánd reveal the names of my most watched actor and director of the year. Well, they all get a big question mark (see the stats at the top of this post) as I don't feel like finding out myself. 

Having started the year 2023 with watching a good amount of classic films and keeping the momentum in the months to follow, I thought I was back on track with the classics, managing to steer away from K-dramas. My film count in the previous year 2022 had been really bad (only 170 films) because of my discovery of K-dramas. In 2023 the change in classic-film-watching happened in October. Here are the numbers of films watched per month: 20 in January; 30 in February; 35 in March; 35 in April; 25 in May; 25 in June; 30 in July; 30 in August; and 35 in September. Then it went downhill: 5 in October; 0 in November; and 5 in December. 

The 1930s emerged as the winning decade again, with 105 films. The 1940s registered 54 films watched, followed closely by the 1950s with 53 titles. The 1920s registered 23 films, the 1910s 22 films, the 1960s 11 films and the 1900s 7 titles.

I only wrote two additional posts, apart from my monthly round-ups: Snowtime: My 10 Favourite Films and Enchanting Dorothy McGuire. I didn't get around to do a fun celebratory post on the occasion of the 5th-year anniversary of my blog. Maybe I can do a belated post this year.

I watched a pitiful number of films on the big screen. Only 3: La Torre de los Siete Jorobados at the Museo de Bellas Artes and College and Gun Crazy at the Filmoteca in Valencia. 

One thing that I'm happy about is that I finally finished watching The Thin Man series and what a fun ride it was (see my January 2023 Round-Up). 

I have no idea what 2024 will bring classic-movie-wise. I haven't watched a single film yet. At some point I started watching You'll Never Get Rich with Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth but then got bored after half an hour and continued watching my K-drama again. Because that's what I'm basically doing. Watching K-dramas and occasionally blogging about them at Five Minutes of Happiness. So if you don't find me here, you might find me there. 

Well, here's to a great year of classic-film-watching! I will do my best. Cheers! 

William Powell as Nick Charles. Cheers!

For a detailed summary of all films watched in 2023, click here and select a month. If you want to look up a specific film and the month when I watched it, use the search bar at the top of the page and type in the title.
© 2018 - CLASSIC MOVIES ROUND-UP • Theme by Maira G.