DECEMBER 2023 ROUND-UP


TOTAL FILMS SEEN IN DECEMBER: 5  
(see the film posters at the bottom of the post, arranged in watching order)  

NEW-TO-ME: 2 (0 features & 2 shorts) 

REWATCHES: 3 (2 features & 1 short) 

SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN: 0 

CHRISTMAS FILMS: 5 

ANIMATION: 2 (0 features & 2 shorts)

James Stewart and Donna Reed for It's a Wonderful Life

For the last month of 2023 I made an effort to watch a couple of films in order to finish the year with a round-up post, since I missed November's round-up on account of not having seen one single classic film that month (this is a first since I started this blog doing monthly round-ups). The fact that I missed my beloved film noir month (Noirvember) had everything to do with my sister being seriously ill and we've been on an emotional rollercoaster since mid-October. Fortunately things are turning for the better now and we're finally coming out of the dark tunnel into the light again. During the dark and stressful period, for some reason I felt more compelled to watch K-drama series than Hollywood classics. Could have been to do with the fact that most series have an average of 16 episodes and I knew I wouldn't have to bother picking a new title any time soon. Still, Christmas is special and I find comfort in watching favourite classic Christmas films, the ones I've seen numerous times with my sister. So I watched Remember the Night and It's a Wonderful Life, and three Christmas shorts. I've also been watching cheesy Hallmark Christmas films. They are so easy to digest and made me happy.

Donna Reed in It's a Wonderful Life (screenshot by me)

Following are the five Christmas films watched in December.

NOTE: Read notes with caution as they might contain spoilers; with ratings going from ½ to ★★★★★ and watched date.


Watched the Christmas film THE CHRISTMAS PARTY (MGM, 1931) for the first time last year and liked it, so I decided to give this talkie short of 9 minutes a rewatch. It's a simple story of Jackie Cooper wanting to throw his friends a Christmas party, asking Norma Shearer for help in order to find him a suitable venue. Lovely Shearer (pictured with Cooper, bottom photo) is undoubtedly the best part of this short. Also with: Reginald Denny, Clark Gable (top photo), Charlotte Greenwood, Ramon Novarro, Marion Davies, Anita Page, Lionel Barrymore, Wallace Beery, Marie Dressler and Jimmy Durante. Charles Reisner directed. ★★★ / 25.12.2023 (rewatch)


Mitchell Leisen's REMEMBER THE NIGHT (Paramount, 1940), starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray (both pictured in three photos), is one of my fave films ever and I've seen this multiple times since childhood. It's also one of my sister's (the one who's ill — I have three sisters) favourites. Every time I watch this gem I discover something new, or a particular scene gets my attention. In this case it's the well-received scene set at the courtroom where Willard Robertson as the defence lawyer gives an impassionate speech. In previous viewings I always found this moment a bit tedious and going on for too long. But I never really focused on Stanwyck and MacMurray in the background. Now I gave them my full attention and I love their reactions and facial expressions during the entire speech. How could I never have been fully aware of this? Furthermore .... well, what can I say? Stanwyck has never looked more luminous with eyes sparkling and glowing. And MacMurray's exchange with Barbara's cold-hearted mother ("It's been very interesting meeting you, Mrs. ...." "The name doesn't concern you." "It certainly does not.") shows what a great and kind man his character is. That single moment makes him so attractive, I'd fall in love with him right then and there! ★★★★★ / 25.12.2023 (rewatch)


Nothing to say about Frank Capra's IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (Liberty Films, 1946), starring James Stewart and Donna Reed (both pictured in three screenshots by me), that hasn't been said already. Seen this many times before and wanted to try out something different, so I watched the colourised version. I was expecting to hate it but I didn't. The colours look like those from a vintage postcard, and though I prefer the original black-and-white version, it was nice to see Donna Reed's pretty clothes in colour. ★★★★★ / 26.12.2023 (rewatch)


TOY TINKERS (Walt Disney Productions, 1949) is an enjoyable 7-minute short featuring Donald Duck and the chipmunks Chip and Dale (pictured). Donald has his Christmas tree decorated with nuts and sweets and the chipmunks try to harvest them. What ensues is a 'war' over the treats. Jack Hannah directed. ★★★½ / 26.12.2023


Another 7-minute Disney short is PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE (Walt Disney Productions, 1952) where Pluto and Mickey bring home a Christmas tree. Plotwise it's not really different from the previously watched short. Here again Chip and Dale (pictured with Pluto and Mickey) only have eyes for the tree's eatable decorations. Pluto spots the chipmunks in the tree and tries to go after them. Fun watch, directed by Jack Hannah. ★★★½ / 26.12.2023 

Furthermore, here is the breakdown in decades of the 5 watched films:

1900s - 0
1910s - 0
1920s - 0
1930s - 1
1940s - 3
1950s - 1
1960s - 0

See you with my 2023 year in review!

© 2018 - CLASSIC MOVIES ROUND-UP • Theme by Maira G.