JUNE 2024 ROUND-UP


TOTAL FILMS SEEN IN JUNE: 5 
(see the film posters at the bottom of the post, arranged in watching order) 

NEW-TO-ME: 5  

REWATCHES: 0  

SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN: 0  

SILENT FILMS: 0

Gold Is Where You Find It with George Brent and Olivia de Havilland

I knew June wasn't going to be a fruitful month, classic-movie-wise, because I spent a lot of time in K-dramaland and I wasn't craving classic films at all. In May I hadn't even seen one single classic film, so there's no round-up for that month. Hopefully my appetite for the classics will return soon. 

So 
this month I only watched 5 classic films, but at least they're all feature films. Unfortunately they were all average at best and nothing really stood out.

See the titles with random thoughts below.

NOTE: Read notes with caution as they might contain spoilers; with ratings going from ½ to ★★★★★ and watched date.


If you're not into Lee Tracy (left) and his fast talking, then better skip the pre-code film BLESSED EVENT  (Warner Bros, 1932). Because this is Lee Tracy's show! I sought this out for the good reviews and ratings and because this is thé film Tracy is known for, but I was a bit underwhelmed (could also have something to do with my current K-drama obsession and being less into classic Hollywood at the moment). I'm familiar with Tracy's smug, overconfident characters and smooth talks, and they can be a hit-or-miss for me, and here it's a bit in between. I didn't find this as funny as other online reviewers, the story isn't that special, but I did enjoy the parade of WB's character actors, especially love Ruth Donnelly here. Tracy is all energy, yet they pair him with Mary Brian (right) who must be the dullest and blandest actress from the pre-code days. Isabel Jewell would have been a better fit for Tracy. Dick Powell (in his film debut) is doing nothing else but crooning, and though I didn't mind much, he keeps messing up the pace of this film. Best scene is the one where Tracy is telling gangster Allen Jenkins about the electric chair. A truly great scene with Tracy at the top of his game. Glad I finally watched this, but there are Tracy films I enjoyed more than this one (e.g. Turn Back the Clock). Further support by Emma Dunn, Ned Sparks, Frank McHugh and Jack La Rue. Roy Del Ruth directed. ★★★ / 14.06.2024


SUBMARINE COMMAND (Paramount, 1951) is the only one of the four films William Holden (right, screenshot by me) and Nancy Olson (left) made together I hadn't seen yet (Sunset Boulevard, Union Station, Force of Arms being the other films) and I was glad to find it in a clear print. I didn't expect anything from this and it's indeed a lackluster drama about a submarine commander (Holden) consumed by guilt over a professional decision he made during WWII which cost the lives of two men. Olson plays Holden's wife and has not much to do but I always like seeing her together with Holden. They make such a natural pair. Supporting parts for William Bendix (center, behind the ugly baby) and Don Taylor, and directed by John Farrow. ★★½ / 20.06.2024


I didn't feel my best when I was watching the comedy MURDER, HE SAYS (Paramount, 1945) and didn't catch everything the first time (I rewatched some parts later on). It's a bit silly and screwy but fortunately it has the appeal of Fred MacMurray (right) and Helen Walker (left). I like them both and they make a good couple. Walker looks pretty in jeans and chequered shirt. I like the scene best with the rotating dining table top. There's some nice black-and-white photography by Theodor Sparkuhl. Also with Marjorie Main who's perfectly cast playing a hillbilly character. George Marshall directed. ★★½ / 22.06.2024


SUNDAY PUNCH (MGM, 1942) is a B-film that I watched for William Lundigan (right) and because I found a clear print online. Lundigan is a bland actor who doesn't really have a lot to offer, and to be honest, I actually only like his looks (how shallow, I know). In any case, he pairs nicely with Jean Rogers (left) here. This boxing film is not very exciting but I still enjoyed it to some extent. Some of the photography by Paul Vogel is nice, especially during the boxing scenes. Also with Dan Dailey, Guy Kibbee, J. Carrol Naish, Connie Gilchrist, Sam Levene (I got his looks confused with J. Carrol Naish), Leo Gorcey and Dane Clark. I missed Ava Gardner in a tiny role. Directed by David Miller. ★★½ / 30.06.2024


GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT (Warner Bros, 1938) is one of those early films with George Brent (right) I hadn't seen yet, and he's without moustache! It's also with Olivia de Havilland (left) who's very young and lovely here. And in Technicolor! It's nice to have them paired romantically, but their romance is rushed and unconvincing. This drama about the conflict between a gold mining company and the landowners/farmers is disappointing (my rating for this film is generous). It just doesn't have the scope that you would expect from a film directed by the acclaimed Michael Curtiz and featuring such a great cast. It all stays rather dull but at least the film's climax gives some thrills. With a nice music score by Max Steiner and cinematography by Sol Polito, it's a shame this isn't a great film. Supporting roles by Claude Rains, Margaret Lindsay, John Litel, Barton MacLane, Tim Holt, Sidney Toler, Henry O'Neill, Willie Best, George 'Gabby' Hayes and Harry Davenport. ★★★ / 30.06.2024

Here is the breakdown in decades of the 5 watched films:

1900s - 0
1910s - 0
1920s - 0
1930s - 2
1940s - 2
1950s - 1
1960s - 0

See you with the next round-up!

© 2018 - CLASSIC MOVIES ROUND-UP • Theme by Maira G.